With the release of XaitPorter version 5.1.201711 we are introducing the ability to add reference notes to content within tables.
To insert a reference note in a table
- Type the reference note into the applicable position in the table (it can be a number, letter or symbol)
- Highlight the reference note text, then right-click it and select Add Table Note from the context menu (alternatively, you can also select the reference note and click the * icon on the text editor toolbar)
A notes table using the same layout settings as the main table will be automatically created directly below the table you are working in, and the reference note text that was previously selected will be copied into the first row in the table. Each subsequent note that is added will create a new row in the notes table. This table can be deleted separately by right-clicking within it and selecting Delete Table; however, each note reference in the main table will have to be deleted individually. Reference notes can also be added within tables without selecting text but simply right-clicking and selecting Add Table Note. In this case, new rows will need to be manually added to the notes table below the main table. See the screenshots below for an example of the way table notes will appear in the XaitPorter text editor and their appearance once exported to PDF:
When copying and pasting a table that contains table notes, the following rules will apply:
- Copying both the main table and notes table together - both are pasted together
- Copying only the main table - only the main table will be pasted
- Copying only the notes table - only the notes table will be pasted as a separate table that will maintain the same table style
Table Note Styling Options
To support this functionality, all existing layout templates have been updated with new character, table, and table cell styles. Only users with access to edit layout templates will be able to view and edit the following:
- New character style: A new character style called Note Reference has been added, it is listed under Reference Styles when editing a layout template. This style controls the appearance of reference notes; the default configuration is set as superscript with a font size of 6 pt.
- New table style: A new table style called Table Notes has been added which defines the style of the automatically generated notes table; by default, this table is configured without borders or an inner grid.
- New table cell styles: The following new table cell styles have been added that can be applied to the Table Notes table style:
- Table Notes Cell
- Table Notes Cell Center Aligned
- Table Notes Cell Left Aligned
- Table Notes Cell Right Aligned