With XaitPorter version 5.1.201802 we are introducing the ability to use endnotes in XaitPorter. Endnotes can be used in text to provide additional information, and can either be placed at the end of the document, after each section, or after each main section.
Place the cursor at the position in the text where the note reference number should be inserted and either:
- Right-click and select Insert Endnote
- Select Insert from the top black menu bar and then select Insert Endnote
- Select the Insert Endnote icon in the text editor toolbar
The number will appear at the end of the section, where you can write the corresponding note. The numbering will automatically update as more endnotes are added.
To remove an endnote, you can either delete the note reference number in the text or right-click on the number and select Delete Endnote; this will also delete the note. The numbering will automatically update when endnotes are deleted.
Copying and Pasting Endnotes
If copying text that contains endnote reference numbers, the following will happen on paste:
- If pasting within the same section, a new reference to the same note will be created
- If pasting within another section, a new note will be created
Placement of Endnotes
In the text editor the endnotes will always appear within the section where they have been added. However, it is possible to choose where the endnotes are placed within the exported document by selecting Document from the top black menu bar and then selecting Labels, Notes & References. Within the window that appears, select the Notes tab and you will see the following options for endnotes placement:
- After Last Section (default) - numbering of endnotes is consecutive throughout the whole document
- After Each Section - numbering is restarted per section
- After Main Section - numbering is restarted per main section
Exporting Documents with Endnotes
When exporting a single section, or a section with subsections, the placement of the endnotes determines if they are included or not. For example, if endnotes are placed at the end of the document and you are exporting a single section, the notes are not included. Whether the note references within the text are shown depends on the export format:
- PDF - note references are shown
- Microsoft Word - note references are shown if the corresponding note is part of the exported content
- OpenOffice - note references are shown if the corresponding note is part of the exported content
When exporting to Word, XaitPorter endnotes are not mapped to Word endnotes or references but are instead exported as regular text.
Navigation in PDF
- clicking on a note reference in the text will navigate you to the note
- clicking on a note will navigate you to the note reference in the text
Endnotes in Collection of Documents
If documents containing endnotes are included in a collection of documents, the settings from each document are applied. For example, if the document has endnotes after each main section, they will appear this way when it is exported as part of a collection. The recommended best practice is to use the same endnote placement settings for each document included in the collection to ensure a consistent look.
Searching for Endnotes
Endnotes are indexed as part of the section where they are inserted, which means that you will get a match for the section if searching for content in an endnote. The following new search operators have been added for endnotes:
- has:endnotes - use when searching for sections that contain endnotes
- !has:endnotes - can be used to search for sections without endnotes
- endnote:"content" - use to scope search to endnote content only
Document and Section Comparisons
- When comparing section versions, endnotes are shown as part of the section regardless of which placement has been selected for the export
- When comparing document versions, endnotes are shown with the selected placement
- Title Page - endnotes cannot be inserted on the Title Page
- Hidden Text - if applying a character style that will not be included in export (such as instruction or hidden text) to a paragraph that has endnotes, the note reference number will be hidden but the note will still be included
- Word Import - when importing a document from Word that contains endnotes, the notes will be imported as normal text in XaitPorter
- Access - read and edit access to endnotes is controlled by the section access